Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Real Talk Vol. 8: Beauty Is In The Eye Of The Beholder

*ok...this is not meant to offend anyone...so read the whole thing before you raise in arms...there is a point...as usual*

Yall know how you be in the club, or at some party, and the DJ would say somethin' to the likes of "If you a pretty female throw your hands in the air and scream!"...and for some reason...EVERYBODY gotta have the nerve to raise their hands up and scream? I know i'm not the only one that thinks that...or has said that either.

I said before that I would speak on what I meant by pretty in a much earlier post...so i'm now doing so.

I always understood that everyone had different preferences concerning what was attractive to them, but I don't think it really hit me until having a few conversations with my brother. Like, I'd see someone on TV or out somewhere and be like "Hey she's cute" only for him to say "Not really."

Pretty. It can't be universally defined. And i'm using the word pretty as a term to encompass all words that serve as synonyms: beauty, glamour, attractiveness, etc. But yea...everyone is going to have their own personal meaning.

Now with that, I feel like people need to learn how to accept the opposite end of that spectrum. Certain people are simply not attractive to other people. There is nothing wrong with that, but people need to learn to accept that and keep life moving. I forget where I was, but one day a month or so back I heard this group of people arguing because some guy supposedly said this girl was not that attractive. I pretty much laughed inside at how silly that argument was. I mean, it's one thing for someone to say such a thing in a disrespective connotation. But if someone is simply giving their opinion, then where's the wrong in that? I know there are people in the world people think are absolutely gorgeous that I don't. Halle Berry for instance. OK nah HORRIBLE example! LOL. People like her and Stacey Dash just go into a pot of automatically BAD!! lol...but ok...I'll just say Raven Symone for now or something. I know people will find her to be mad gorgeous...but she doesn't do it for me.

Back to the people in the club. I feel like some people don't have any business putting their hands up...but that's just my personal opinion. Not being disrespectful by any means...just being honest. But one other conclusion I've come to in thinking about this topic...what does it ULTIMATELY matter what everyone thinks? I would hope that people find themselves attractive. I mean, if you can't find yourself attractive, then why should anyone else? I know for a fact that I'm not attractive to every single female in the world. I personally think I'm handsome as hell. And I'm not saying this egotistically or anything like that, but that's how I feel...and there's nothing wrong with that. I look into the mirror everyday and see a strapping young gentleman! And that's important. If you can't accept that from yourself, you're gonna find it very hard to accept it from somebody else.

Pretty is different for everybody. I know what pretty is for me, which is all that matters in the end. So when I said wayyyyyy before I have an affinity for pretty people, and when I had described CoCo as one of those pretty females, you may disagree with my idea of pretty...and that's cool. Do you. However, in my eyes, that is how beauty is beheld. I won't go into describing what pretty is for me since that really is for my edification only...and I don't want people to try and fit themselves in certain categories that I may mention, cuz it shouldn't matter what I think. But I hope people understand that just because a certain person may not be attractive to another person or group of people, that's not to say that somebody else doesn't find them attractive. And, more importantly, people should always be attractive to themselves, IMO at least. And even MORE importantly, God loves you and will always find you attractive. (Yea that may sound cheesy or whatever, but I'm saying that with the utmost sincerity.)

Same goes for males...but me being a male interested in women, I choose to speak about women. Yall understand.

So...for my pretty people out there reading this...leave a comment and tell me what you think!!!!! ;)

HOLLA!!!!!

No comments: