Monday, June 22, 2009

Swimming Through Shallow Waters: Father's Day Edition

Growing up in his shadow,
Shielded from the sun of life
Since I could grab a rattle.
And I still happily paddle
In the sea of wisdom and advice
Coming from the shadow I deeply hallow
Hoping it never shallows.

Wherever it went, I followed
Didn’t care where I was headed.
As long as my footsteps were embedded
Into my promised tomorrow.
Yes, my life directed
Still an amateur at best and
The shadow being my Night at the Apollo

I mocked it for amusement
Thinking it was a useful and proved
Way just to learn its moves
Down to its acuteness
Unaware it would behoove me
As I stepped into the sun
Trying to remember its movements
As a form of self-improvement

Then I saw how bright the sun was
And it blinded me
Blackened my skin, left me perspiring
Eyes closed, and arms outstretched
Didn’t expect it to be so grimy
Then the shadow returned timely
Just to remind me
That I may not have the guide
But it’s always behind me

Now as I heal from the sunburns
And blurred vision
I dive into the sea of wisdom and advice
For thirst quenchin’
As I fish through the words mentioned
I immerse myself in rehearsed smidgens
You versed when I first listened.

Now I see all along
You were preparing me for the time
I’d realize I’ll have a shadow of my own.
So Dad, this is a grateful and glad flow
To show my appreciation
No pizzazz though
Just a simple metaphor acknowledging
And thanking you for being my shadow!

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers and father figures out there!

No comments: