Monday, June 22, 2009

Real Talk Vol. 4: Nice guys don't finish last...IMO

Helpful people really do go a long way.

As a person that has worked in some sort of customer service position - whether it be fast food, cashier, telephone representative - done plenty of volunteer opportunities, and just overall raised to be a nice individual, I feel like it isn't only highly impressionable upon other people, but also self-rewarding.

I can definitely say that other people greatly appreciate nice people. I know i'm always given compliments from other people due to how naturally nice I am. Personally, I always try to make it a point to be as nice as possible to people...and hearing from other people how nice I am makes me want to be even nicer. Now...amongst my peers, I may sometimes may come across as a jerk sometimes (see Jerk), but it's truly just being comical and moreso welcoming to other people. I know one of my homegirls Raydia (Ray-Ray) didn't like me when she first met me. *She'll tell you. lol* I used to make a lot of jokes...and that's how I always am. but once anyone gets to truly know me...if you're on my good side...i'm really a nice and caring person...that still got jokes. lol

ok...enough talking about myself.

So yea...I feel like many people need to make a more concerted effort to be nice. Real talk. Not on no sappy, emotional tip either. Like, just for real. I went to McDonald's to get up on their breakfast this morning *I LOOOOVE McDonald's breakfast!*, and i'm making my order...and the lady was just extremely rude! Like you can tell she did not want to be at work, and was very salty for working at McDonald's as a 30+ year old woman taking drive-thru orders. Like yo...that's YOUR fault, but you shouldn't take that out on the other people that just want some damn breakfast!

Don't get me wrong...sometimes people deserve rude behavior and whatnot...and by all means, in those instances it is alright to display such behavior...however sometimes people just go out of their way to be everything but nice. and honestly, it's quite sad.

Maybe it has to do with the cliche "Nice guys finish last." I'm sorry...and excuse my french...but that's bullshit! Maybe in the short run...maybe...but life isn't a 100 meter dash! And even in the short run...is it really worth it? Life is a marathon...you don't wanna run too slow cuz you'll lose...but you don't wanna run too fast...cuz then you'll just get extra tired...and you'll still lose.

"Slow *living* is better than no *living*. Fast *living* don't last too long...you gotta pace it!" Big ups to Lil Wayne - Carter II off of...well...actually that's obvious. lol

Anyways...I say that to say this. I feel like people need to realize that being nice is actually a good thing! And I don't just mean being nice out of your own convenience, but just overall nice. It really does work wonders for other people's day, as well as your own inner being. I'm telling you...I speak from personal experience. It goes a long way!

HOLLA!!!!!

2 comments:

Lola said...

"you never know what someone else is going through." that's what this post made me think of.. so i totally agree w/ you! it's hard sometimes, but even a smile sometimes can help someone going through a rough time.

on that note, however, that worker from mcdonalds at the drive thru may have been having the worst day she's ever had in life (idk lol).. but.. then the cycle continues..

so do you think that means we should always keep our emotions hidden so as not to exacerbate someone else's personal pain? just a thought.. idk.

ps - jb, you and Lo both have amazing blogs.. i read them both whenever i remember.. and i know other people do too, and they have opinions on certain things u talk about. i totally support public expression of private thoughts.. through whatever artistic avenue.. so i'm gonna make it a point to comment on stuff you guys post. other people should too (cuz i know you're reading this *wink*)

lol just so you don't wonder why my comments are all over your blog all of a sudden :)

Jay Blair said...

I wouldn't necessarily say always keep them hidden at another's expense. Moreso just learn to better judge when to express and how to express these emotions for your own personal sake. You're right...we never know what someone else is going through...so that is definitely good enough reason to always treat people as nicely as possible. However, for the purposes of this article...the main thing I wanted to stress was personal improvement. It's ok to be mad and stuff like that express those emotions...but that starts to take a toll on yourself. and i also feel like people tend to internalize the harsh realities of life and then throw them back into other people's reality...and so on and so forth. And since they put bad stuff in space, the only thing that returns...is negativity. and it's a vicious cycle from there. With reality already being as harsh as it is, we don't need other people adding to that. So I feel people should practice positivity when possible to preserve a private portion of peace. *I'm a nerd too. lol*

and I greatly appreciate your feedback on the blog. glad people are reading. imma do my best to respond to people's comments. :)